Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A personal reflection

Yesterday I had a once in a life time opportunity... Captain Sullenberger is the father of one of my current students and one of my former students. He came and gave a guest lecture on the physics of flight. It was amazing. He had my most talkative class silent, transfixed with rapt attention. They were mesmerized! He has such a wonderful presence and perspective. He talked about velocity, kinetic energy and mechanical energy and their effect on flight. He alluded a couple of times to flight 1549, but for the most part kept it focused on generalities. I have rarely in my life felt speechless, in owe, starstruck and put at ease all in the same moment. I am so glad that my students had the opportunity to learn from him.

It has reminded me that I need to invite people in more often, they have so much to share from the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment